New year at the allotment

So after the frost, rain, more rain and freezing conditions we were able to visit the plot last weekend, when the weather was ok. The raspberries are doing well after being moved into one central place. We built a structure to secure the branches, then added some wood chipping to hopefully help reduce the weeds around the base. The strawberries, now under their black weed blanket, also seem to be doing well. At least they have survived the winter. We started digging a hole for the first of the pear trees, alas also discovering a large concrete slab buried underground. After 2/3 hours (initially believing it may take 10 minutes) of digging, we removed the block and planted our first tree. Time for a cup of tea! The next day we planted the second of the pear trees at the back of the plot, with the aim to splay the branches into a fan, covering the back fence.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s